Wednesday, March 24, 2010

collar for child's coat


I had to make a child's floor length coat that was similar to the men's coats that I showed earlier. One difference was that the child's coat zipped up to the neck and thus required a differently shaped collar.
I started here with the coat on the stand with the neckline machine stitched to compress the batting.
I could have drafted a collar but I often find when I get to this stage, it is just as easy and quick for me to cut a rough shape out in the fabric by eye (I have been at this a while and I kind of knew what the collar shape should be) and drape a collar.
One advantage is that I can see right way what this fabric is doing rather than make a paper draft and try it twice.
Here's my rough shape cut on the bias. Just half the collar to drape with. I have to make sure that the CB does not pull out of alignment when I pin the collar shape on.
Here it is pinned to the neckline, and then as it looks when it is turned down.

I measured the neck sewing line to get the proper measurement to check against what I have draped and then this is my corrected pattern on paper.
Next: cutting it out and sewing it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment